Our Distance Learning program caters to the developmental and educational needs of all students. Click the grade level group for more details.
Our parents’ opinions matter. Click here to see what they’re saying about distance learning at CIS.
CIS teachers nurture and empower over 600 young learners across three campuses. Whether learning happens in the classroom or in the living room, their commitment to our students and parents remains the same.
On November 10, 2020, CIS officially began conducting classes online. This practice is known as distance learning. During the school closure period, we will continue to provide world-renowned education to each student using a variety of distance-learning tools.
Here is a guide for distance learning at CIS. For more information about the Alberta Provincial Education Curriculum, click here.
Students are expected to:
- check their Seesaw or Google Classroom accounts for posted materials and live class times
- attend live sessions on Zoom
- engage daily with the materials posted online, attend live sessions, and complete tasks as instructed
- wear their CIS shirts when online
- complete a weekly reflection (Grades 3 to 10)
Teachers have commited to:
- posting curriculum content on Seesaw and/or Google Classroom regularly, dependent upon grade level and needs of students
- using Zoom as a live video web tool to host video conferences with the entire class in real-time
- hosting online office hours where they can be available for contact
- ensuring quality, rigor and quantity of student work
We ask parents to support distance learning efforts by:
- checking Seesaw and/or Google Classroom regularly
- supporting their children where required to access online materials and resources
- ensuring that students are online for the scheduled live classes through Zoom
- providing some basic supplies for their children to complete tasks
Seesaw (Nursery to Grade 5): Using this platform, teachers can provide students with feedback and send back work if there are corrections to be made.
Google Classroom (Grade 5 to 10): This facilitates communication between teachers and students as well as streamlines educational workflow. It allows teachers to create classes, post assignments, organize folders, and view work in real-time.
Attendance: Teachers track how many parents see posts on Seesaw and Google Classroom, and how many students completed activities. They also check in with families who did not join and help parents access Zoom if that is an issue.
Digital Eye Strain Prevention: Students will be required to spend much of their school day online. With this, we have to be mindful of digital eye strain. Many doctors recommend the “20-20-20 Rule”. Every 20 minutes, take a 20-second break and look at something that is 20 feet away (about six meters).
Here are some helpful resources that can assist you during the distance learning experience.
- CIS Library
- Google Classroom Tutorial
- COVID-19: IFRC, UNICEF and WHO issue guidance to protect children and support safe school operations
- Distance Learning Solutions from UNESCO
- Free and Open Digital Tools to Support Remote Learning during Temporary School Closures from UNICEF Play Based Learning Activities for Children Aged 3 to 10 from UNICEF
- Talk to the Kids About the Coronavirus with These 5 Easy Tips
- Read-aloud Coronavirus Safety for Children Book
- How to Talk to Kids About Scary News
- Helping Kids Handle Worry
- How to Help Children Manage Fears
- Coronavirus and Parenting: What You Need to Know
- How to emotionally prepare for COVID quarantine
- Tips for Online learning from Understood.org
- Simple Activities for Children and Adolescents
Extra-Curricular Activities from Home
ECAs are also an important part of educating a well-rounded student. Here are some ideas and resources for activities to keep children engaged and learning other skills while at home.
|Indoor activities: ||JK-SK|
|Kitchen tasks: ||JK-SK|
|Yoga for kids with animals||SK-Gr.4|
|Cardio dance for family fun |
(parents and children)
|Zumba For Kids||JK- Gr.4|
|Hip hop teens beginner||Gr.4+|
|Hip hop kids beginner||SK-Gr.3|
|Hip hop parents & kids||Gr.3+|
Thank you for being part of this educational partnership. We can’t do it without you.